Monday, November 15, 2010

BBB (Bad Bea and Betty)

Nearly every time I take care of a dying patient at work, a member of their family says to me "I don't know how you do this job". The truth is, I'm not sure how I do it either. All I know is, regardless of how hard my shift was and how many tears were shed, when I see our animals running to greet me in the morning, a smile comes to my face.

And I love our animals even though they are often naughty. A few days ago, a man was walking with his dog in our neighbors's pasture. Bea and Gretel were barking and barking. Finally, it was more than Bea could handle. The next things we know, Bea is on the other side of the fence. Luckily for us, Gretel (still being a nervous pup) could not figure out how to get out so Bea stayed close to the fence, waiting for her sister. We were able to lure her with a bone back into the fenced area.

We were not sure how Bea got out until yesterday. We saw her first standing up against the fence. Then her front paws went over. She hung on the fence for a few minutes (I was so afraid she was going to hurt herself!) and finally was able to scoot her hind legs over. Needless to say, we were outside until after dark making reparations to the fence. Our back yard is starting to look a bit like a military compound with its rough fencing but at least our dogs stay safely at home!

We have been working on transitioning the cats to live outside. Rambo has not slept inside for nearly a week. He has found a hidey-hole where he is safe and warm overnight. Betty has stayed outside a few nights and had done quite well. Until last night. Both cats were on the roof and all night we could hear the pitter patter of little feet and littler feet (cats and mice, ick). We imagine that Rambo enjoyed himself very much. Betty, we know for sure, did not. She sat outside our bedroom on the balcony and meowed. And meowed and meowed and meowed (much like Lily, the lovely cat I left with my parents). She must have sat there for a good four hours. At six in the morning, Brian couldn't stand it anymore and let her in downstairs. Our new plan is to build her a place in the garage so she can still have some indoor space without occupying Brian's 'man room' in the basement.

Aside from the above adventures, we have been enjoying Phillippe's daily visits. We have also been watching the Kites that hunt in the pastures around our house. Not the type of kite you would imagine, but a bird that hunts by hovering in one spot and then diving down to catch its prey. They are beautiful birds. We also have a pair of Red-tailed Hawks that live nearby. I am getting lots of use out of my binoculars....

No comments:

Post a Comment